Sunday, September 8, 2013

Coconut lemongrass chicken soup

Ok, so it's been quite sometime and A LOT of changes but I'm back!  In a new city, actually in a new state!  I've found that finding healthy foods isn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I actually have quite a few options right by our new house and even more if I'm willing to drive 15-30 minutes...
  The best thing I've found has been our local farmers market!  I've been to farmers markets before but nothing like this.  I've been incredibly impressed by my findings in Bentonville, AR.  And everyone is so friendly and knowledgeable.  I especially like that I can ask questions.  So far no one has minded answering them no matter how silly they might be. 

  So I ventured to the farmers market yesterday while my hubby was home with the girls. They'd been running fevers and had runny noses so I wanted to make some hearty healing chicken soup. I found fresh lemongrass and went from there. I hope you enjoy this quick, easy meal as much as we did!

Coconut lemongrass chicken soup

1 tablespoon grape seed oil
4 stalks fresh lemongrass, (white part only) crushed with flat part of knife
2 medium onions sliced thinly
1-2 Thai or cayenne peppers (optional) sliced with stem removed you can remove the seeds or leave them depending on how much heat you want
2 lbs shredded chicken breast or 2 lbs raw chicken cut in strips 
3 tablespoons fish sauce (check labels)
6 cups homemade chicken broth 
1/2-1 can coconut milk
Juice of 2 lemons
Sea Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly sliced scallions for garnish
Thai Basil for garnish

  In medium saucepan or small soup pot add grape seed oil.  Heat over medium heat add lemongrass and sweat for 2 minutes. Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes more. Add chilies at this time too.  A little crunch is just fine. 
Add chicken and heat through if cooked. If raw cook until white. (1-2 minutes)

Add fish sauce and chicken stock. Simmer over medium- low heat 15-20 minutes until liquid has reduced slightly  This gives it enough time for the flavors to intensify. 
Whisk in coconut milk and lemon juice. Season with sea salt and pepper and garnish with scallions and basil. 
Serve and Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment